CalSO fine print for 2016

  • Billing: read more

    Student fees will be billed through the campus billing service, usually on the first or second tuition bill during the student’s first semester. No payment is necessary for students when they sign up, however they are responsible for paying the fee when it shows up on their tuition bill. The Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) fee of $100 does not cover CalSO fees.

    Failure to pay your CalSO fees by the billing deadlines will result in a late charge of $25 per month, and may result in a hold on your records. CalSO cannot waive these late fees.

    Payment for parent/guest fees will be with a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover credit card upon making the CalSO reservation.

    Close me

  • Cancellation policy: read more

    Cancelling or changing your reservation at least 7 days before the program: full credit or refund minus a $20 processing charge per person. (Here's an example of what at least 7 days means: You're signed up for a program on Monday, June 27, you need to cancel or change your reservation by Sunday, June 19 at 11:59PM.)

    Cancelling your reservation 7 days or less before the program: no refund, no exceptions. (Here's an example of what 7 days or less means: You're signed up for a program on Monday, June 27, and you cancel or change your reservation after 12AM on Monday, June 20.)

    Not showing up for the program: no refund, no exceptions.

    Withdrawing from the University: In addition to contacting the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, you are responsible for notifying New Student Services directly and cancelling your reservation. If you haven't attended the program yet, be sure to cancel your reservation to avoid no-show fees. If you attend a CalSO program and withdraw after, you will still be charged the entire program fee, and you are responsible for paying it.

    Close me

  • I can't attend CalSO: read more

    What to do if you can't come to CalSO
    Step one: read materials

    Read all emails from New Student Services, your school or college, and complete any necessary assignments.

    Step two: prepare for online orientation

    College of Letters and Science: You will receive an email at the end of June (for fall admits) or mid-November (for students starting in January) from the College of Letters and Science Advising Office (first-year students) or your Undergraduate Major Adviser (transfer students) with information about Online Orientation, including information about your registration appointment time.

    Fall Program for Freshmen (FPF): You will be contacted by your assigned adviser in late May in order to register for classes. New Student Services will contact you in mid July with information about Online Orientation.

    Professional Schools and Colleges: You will receive an email from New Student Services in mid- June with information about Online Orientation and steps you need to take to prepare for scheduling your first semester of classes. Upon completing Online Orientation, an Adviser within your academic unit will contact you in regards to your proposed course schedule. Once your schedule is approved by your adviser, you will receive information about how to access the course registration system.

    Step three: enroll in classes

    Go to and enter your CalNet ID and passphrase. Watch this video for further instructions on how to register for classes in CalCentral.

    Close me

  • Disclaimer: read more

    This website may contain links to other websites which are not operated, controlled, or reviewed by New Student Services. These sites are intended as informational resources, and the opinions or statements expressed on the linked sites should not be taken as a position or endorsement by New Student Services, the University of California, Berkeley, or the UC Regents. New Student Services or the University is not responsible for the content, privacy practices, or security practices of these sites.

    Questions, comments, and suggestions can be sent to New Student Services at

    Close me

  • Fees: read more

    Summer programs (for students starting in the fall) Fees per person
    First-Year Orientation: student with meals and overnight accommodations $295
    First Year Orientation: EOP/Pell Grant student with meals and overnight accommodations $180
    First Year Orientation: adult guest program with meals only $275
    Transfer Orientation: student with meals only $210
    Transfer Orientation: EOP/Pell Grant student with meals only $130
    Transfer Orientation: adult guest program with meals only $205
    Summer program participant add-ons Fees per person

    Optional overnight program accommodations during CalSO (for adult guests of first-year students only)

    Optional overnight early arrival accommodations $40
    Early arrival dinner $10
    Golden Bear Express* $50*
    Additional fees Per incident
    Lost key $50
    Cancellation/date change $20

    *The Golden Bear Express is only available to Southern California students who are Pell Grant recipients, Summer Bridge participants, IAP Scholars, or undocumented students.

    Makeup CalSO programs right before classes start Fees per person
    Students $195
    EOP/Pell Grant student $120
    Adult Guests $190

    Spring CalSO Fees per person
    Students $325
    EOP/Pell Grant student $195
    Adult Guests $100

    Close me

  • Pell Grant recipients (financial aid): read more

    If you are a student with a Pell Grant award in your financial aid package, you are eligible to attend CalSO at a reduced rate. This supplemental funding is limited to students (parents and guests must pay the full fee to attend CalSO). Pell Grant students from Southern California are eligible to participate in the Golden Bear Express program, where they can receive round-trip bus transportation from Los Angeles to campus plus an extra night of housing. This is an additional $50, and registration is limited and offered on a first-come, first-served basis.

    Close me

  • Special needs: read more

    If you need special assistance at your CalSO program, you should describe your needs in the special accommodations field upon registration for CalSO. Examples include assistance with a wheelchair, dietary restrictions, a sign language interpreter, or room accommodations (e.g., need to room with an attendant or be placed in a room that matches your affirmed gender, which may not match the information you submitted on your UC application). To make your orientation as accessible as possible, we will need your request two weeks in advance of the program you'd like to attend.

    If you have accommodation needs for the academic year (i.e., outside of CalSO), we encourage you to contact the Disabled Students' Program,

    If you have a parent or guest attending who does not speak English, unfortunately CalSO does not provide translators. However, when you sign your guest up for your CalSO program, please include your guest's language needs in the special needs field. While we do not guarantee that we'll be able to assign your guest to a CalSO Leader who speaks their language, we'll try our best to accommodate your request.

    Close me